If we want to defend ‘Liberal DEMOCRACY’ or what is left of it from the recent attacks, we should first identify who are its enemies and log what they did ~ Jaap van Till, TheConnectivist
* Version: 3.5 * Date: August 9, 2019 * Location of creation of first draft: Brussels
* Author : Anon (it was handed to us in a crowd on USB stick) (And we have inserted a number of links to books that are relevant in our opinion)
Log of the Powergrab of Society – Diary of the Digital Takeover –
Introduction and context
Steve Bannon has declared that what he did with Trump in The White House, Cambridge Analytica, European populist leaders (i.e. from Poland and Hungary) and now also with Boris Johnson, is part of a long term strategy and a broad spectrum of ideological activities that result from that. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/22/video-reveals-steve-bannon-links-to-boris-johnson
What these Nationalist Authoritarians call „The Movement“, is long time, broad and deeply connected and rooted. And it is growing in influence and power all over the globe. This is in stark contrast with what media and politicians do in response to their public messages : react on symptoms and sudden press statements through Twitter, Fox. Many reporters love that, since it attracts attention, and readers & viewers. Murdoch likes it too, no doubt. If it ruins democracy and destroys society, so huge numbers of people are forced into poverty or die from starvation, they could not care less, as long as it enlarges their POWER and their personal wealth. It has a name: Authoritarian Capitalism with NeoLib ideology; also known as Fascism, Nazism, Nationalism, alt-right, racism . What they have in common is that they try to capture central CONTROL of the populus and undermine Liberal Democracy (rule by the People).
In order to recognise it, stop it and together start to replace it by a better social-economic-political model, one of the first actions is to log most of the steps that show how the #PowerGrab gathered forces. Scientist, other reporters and I can look over longer timespans too!!
Log of the PowerGrab
(1) 18 September 1947: The CIA is founded. In Germany, the CIA operates from Stuttgart, among other places, from where, among other things, drone missions are coordinated today.
(2) After the Second World War, 1600 German Nazi scientists, engineers and technicians were brought to the USA in the 1940s as part of “Operation Paperclip”. They worked there for the CIA, NASA and other organisations.
Similar operations bring Nazis to other countries and intelligence agencies around the world.
(3) Notions of racial superiority (implicit or explicit) have far from vanished out of recent politics and government, and is unfortunately not only active behind the curtains in the USA but also in countries like Russia and China. Its roots can be traced back from colonies (tested by the English in America, Ireland and Schotland) and plantations with slavery: with a sad history of superiority & repression & submission. Its core policies and mechanisms have been shown to be still at work in the south of the USA, applied by people who regret that they lost the American Civil War ! What their present power and influence is can be read in https://theconnectivist.wordpress.com/2018/06/02/who-are-behind-the-1-stealth-takeover-of-the-usa-and-uk/
(4) The CIA conducts experiments on people as part of the MKULTRA program which violate the Nuremberg Laws
(5) On April 27, 1961, John F. Kennedy gave his Secret Society speech:
They say he wants to smash the CIA into a thousand pieces.
(6) On November 22, 1963, John F. Kennedy is killed in Dallas, Texas.
(7) 1 October 1972: The study “The Limits to Growth”, financed by the Club of Rome, is published. An economic and population collapse is predicted for the 21st century because of the limited global resources.
This triggers a global debate on the future of the planet and the first environmental movements.
At that time, however, the world as a whole was still considered sustainable. Natural resources where believed to be abundant and inexhaustable, only to be extracted and exploited. Information& knowledge however was defined as a scarce resource, while it is not, since copying it does not exhaust it. In other words: two false mantras. It is just the other way around : information and knowledge is abundant; nature and its resource are limited and scarce. However, the vested powers and the large shareholders (1% ers) resist this shift in worldview.
If the consumption of resources had been reduced by only 3% each year through innovation, the world today would be sustainable. Instead, it was decided to globalise and this spread the sustainability problems of industrialised countries worldwide.
Since then, energy and resource consumption have increased drastically, as has the world population. It is clear that this would eventually plunge the world into the predicted man-made crisis.
(8) 1973: The Club of Rome published the book “The First Global Revolution”, which questioned democracy as an effective form of government and called for a “revolution from above”, see also https://m.tagesanzeiger.ch/articles/18964757
Man is stylized as the enemy of humanity, and humanity as the enemy of the planet. In order to counter global warming and water shortages, it must be subordinated to the overriding goal of saving the planet.
The emerging environmental movement was initially resisted rather than supported by the established politicians, until the new party “The Greens” was founded in 1980.
Instead, politics supported neoliberalism, globalization and free trade, which further exacerbated sustainability problems. Decades later, this process finally led to the proclamation of the so-called “climate emergency” in numerous cities and countries.
(8a) On June 4 1989, the Military Committee of China, headed by Deng, performed a coup to gain power over the country, and violently suppressed the huge demonstrations to change and decentralise governing to Democracy all over the country and on Tienamen Square in Beijing by shooting down by the military hundreds of unarmed students. The ‘Authoritarian Capitalist’ govt of China did not allow Democracy 30 years ago.
(9) The terrorist attacks in New York and Washington D.C. on 11 September 2001 resulted in the Patriot Act and the worldwide ‘War on Terror’. Within this framework, a global, digital mass surveillance network was created, even though numerous courts repeatedly tried to put a stop to such developments.
The story behind this is very revealing. The analysis and filtering system of project “ThinThread” developed by Bill Binney and his collegues at the NSA could have prevented the 9/11 attacks. The terrorists and their plans where already known somewhere in the sec. services; as is most often the case in recent terrorist attacks too. However the generals of the NSA and other top USA leaders ordered Binney to stop his project, which used “metadata” and derived significant patterns, and ordered a huge program to record all calls and internetdata on the planet, including digitaly invading constantly the privacy of all civilians, governments and businesses. Friedrich Moser made this must-see film about that project and the SNA generals decision not to filter but to record ALL COMMS & DATA : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666wsDcoNrU
and interview in 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYg_0Imrnr4
Why was this done on purpose while the new system would cost billions and even may not produce life saving results, costing the lives of hundreds of thousands of soldiers and their targets? My opinion is that it is a combination of the following : (a) bureaucratic officials always state a mantra that if they do not get all information + in real time, they can not decide and control the situation. This is BS. (b) the military-industrial complex must have loved it to digitize the NSA, CIA and FBI; and give an enormous boost to the software and systems building industry, just like they love the Cyberwar systems building and operations. Jobs and big budgets for the War on Terror. (c) The generals where much more ambitious that finding and stopping terrorists with ThinThread. They wanted to build a global Computer assisted Command & Control Center supervising all civilians, politicians and companies on the planet. With huge controlrooms and StarTrack like command posts. But so does the GRU and you can be sure there is one in Beijing too. And such Control means to the people: good behaviour, submission and obedience to the authorities. Unfortunately for the generals they ran into each others ambitions and into the brick wall of Ashby’s Law of requisite variety.
(10) Since around 2002, the German government’s eGovernment plans have basically not progressed. The same applies to many other countries. The population has had to wait 15 years for public digitization:
(11) In 2005, a dissertation about a computer model for euthanasia decisions is published
(12) On April 19, 2005, Joseph Ratzinger, who is said to have been a one time member of Hitler Youth https://www.welt.de/print-welt/article666442/Hitlerjunge-Ratzinger.html is elected as Pope. One day later – for certain people it is a very special day – he will call himself Pope Benedict XVI.
Shortly after the election of a German Pope on November 22, 2005 Angela Merkel becomes Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany through the fall of Helmut Kohl.
(13) On 23 June 2007 the world experiences Sentient World: War games on the grandest scale.
The article describes a personalized world simulation with digital doubles fed with mass surveillance data and used for large-scale PSYOPs, i.e. psychological operations.
How this works is described later in the JTRIG revelations by ex-CIA agent Snowden and former Google employee Tristan Harris. The connection between Sentient World and mass surveillance is established here:
(14) The EU Directive required all EU states to introduce data retention as early as 2006. In Germany, the law was passed on 9 November 2007 (the “Fate Day of the Germans” https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/9._November ) and came into force at the beginning of 2008.
The Federal Constitutional Court declared the law invalid on 2 March 2010. On April 8, the European Court of Justice also contradicted the European data retention law, as it violated the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.
Nevertheless, a new law on data retention was enacted in October 2015. It entered into force on 18 December 2015. On 21 December 2016, the European Court of Justice confirmed that uninitiated data retention is illegal. On 22 June 2017, data retention will be collected by a ruling of the Higher Administrative Court of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Shortly thereafter, on 20 July 2017, the Bundestag passes a constitutional amendment to Article 91c (see below) unnoticed by the public.
(15) The first edition of the book “Nudge: Improving decisions about health, wealth and happiness” by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein will be published in 2008. They praise behavioural manipulation by the state as “liberal paternalism”.
(16) July 28 2010 we learn that Google, CIA invest into the future of web monitoring
It is about the foundation of the company “Recorded Future”.
(17) From 2010, numerous political regimes in Arab countries became unstable (“Arab Spring”).
We are talking about a Twitter revolution, since Facebook, Twitter and other social media played an important role. The role of algorithms for censorship and propaganda in the digital age only becomes clear to politics and the public much later.
(18) A dissertation on ethical models for euthanasia decisions is published in 2010.
(19) On 1 September 2011 Angela Merkel calls for “market-compliant democracy”.
(20) On September 13, 2012. „A 61-million-person experiment in social influence and political mobilization” is published in the journal Nature:
(21) November 5 2012 “Where to rent a botnet” is published.
(22) On 22 March 2012 Ulrich Kelber published an article and a guide on “good social democratic consumer policy”.
What role profiling and targeting play in the recommended behaviour control (“nudging”) remains undecided. Later, however, on 29.11.2018, Ulrich Kelber is elected Federal Commissioner for Data Protection.
(23) On 2 March 2013 the book “Das Ende des Zufalls” is published, which also requires behavioural control.
(24) In the spring of 2013, an analysis is published that makes it clear that the CIA, via venture capital firms such as In-Q-Tel, is having a massive influence on the development of Silicon Valley:
On 20 March 2013, CIA Director Gus Hunt commented as follows:
“It is really very nearly within our grasp to be able to compute on all human generated information.”
“You’re already a walking sensor platform,” he said, noting that mobiles, smartphones and iPads come with cameras, accelerometers, light detectors and geolocation capabilities.
“You are aware of the fact that somebody can know where you are at all times, because you carry a mobile device, even if that mobile device is turned off,” he said. “You know this, I hope? Yes? Well, you should.”
(25) Strangely enough, no one wonders where all this data is stored and how it is obtained. The latter only becomes known with the NSA revelations and much later with the Wikileaks revelations about the CIA under the name “Vault 7”. The latter are not much noticed, although they are probably much more important.
(26) In spring 2013 the Human Brain Flagship Project is launched.
and the Obama Brain Project is launched
The first project attempts to simulate a human brain by computer, the second brain activity with nanoparticles and, if necessary, to manipulate it. Later, Miriam Meckel comments on such developments in her lectures on “Neurocapitalism”.
(27) On 5 June 2013, ex-CIA agent Edward Snowden, previously stationed in Geneva, began the NSA revelations. They shock the public, who had believed that they were not really affected by the surveillance measures themselves, because it supposedly only related to terrorists. The Snowden revelations distract from the machinations of other secret services such as the CIA and the BND (keyword: “attention economy”).
(28) On 11 June 2013, an article describes how Barack Obama won his election campaign through the massive use of Big Data:
As a result, there were many options with surprising outcomes (which were incompatible with the earlier rather reliable forecasts of forecasting institutes).
(29) June 19, 2013, Angela Merkel claims that the Internet is “new territory” for us:
(30) On 21 June 2013, it is announced that a new computer centre in Hungary will expand CERN’s computing and storage capacity. Two 100GBps lines will connect CERN and the Wigner Data Center.
(31) On 1 July 2013, Chancellor Angela Merkel said: “Listening in to friends, that’s impossible.”
Ex-US ambassador John Kornblum explains: “Germany and the USA are partners, not friends“ – a subtlety that is not understood by the public. In other words: they probably listen to each other!
On 19 July 2013 Angela Merkel declared: “German law applies on German soil”.
Only much later, on 24 February 2016, the public learns of a “cover-up called space theory” by the BND, according to which we are intercepted from outer space, where German law does not apply:
The argument is of course not legally viable, see also the later judgement of the EU Human Rights Court on the surveillance of the British secret service GCHQ.
But first the CDU/CSU celebrates an election triumph on 23 September 2013. It unexpectedly achieves an absolute majority. The FDP departs the Bundestag. The Greens are severely weakened.
(32) From 3 December 2013, various media report on the numerous Nazis at the BND predecessor “Organisation Gehlen”:
The question arises: Did the Nazis simply continue in secret?
(33) On 16 December 2013 the coalition agreement “Shaping Germany’s Future” is signed by Merkel, Seehofer, Gabriel, Kauder, Hasselfeldt, Steinmeier, Gröhe, Dobrindt and Nahles.
On page 105 of the coalition agreement, a section on the “modern state” describes the desire to “govern effectively and with foresight”. For a long time, few have realised what that exactly means.
(34) On 6 February 2014 Martin Schulz warns against “technological totalitarianism”:
(35)On February 25, 2014, The Intercept unveils the JTRIG program. It will reveal how slander campaigns and PSYOPs are conducted by manipulating Internet content and using personalized information to psychologically trick people: https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/
Only years later will Tristan Harris, who worked in a “Google Control Room”, make it clear that such “mind control” methods are applied to billions of people every day.
(36) May 13, 2014 the article “When Software Decides Life and Death.”
(37) On 2 June 2014 “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks” was published in PNAS journal
(38) On July 28, 2014, we learn “How to spot a social bot on twitter”
(39) On 12 August 2014 Switzerland adopts a central register of road-fare evaders
On the same day one reads that the SVP is prepared to sacrifice human rights.
(40) On 9 October 2014, Die Süddeutsche unveils the US espionage program “Eikonal” on German soil
(41) On January 22, 2015, we learn “How the CIA made Google: Inside the secret network behind mass surveillance, endless war, and Skynet”
On the same day “Why Google made the NSA”
(42) 12 March 2015 we read that Merkel wants to educate citizens through nudging
(43) April 2015 you get to know “Britain used spy team to shape Latin American public opinion on Falklands”
(44) In Richard Thaler’s book published on 11 May 2015 he states that people often do not make optimal decisions:
The cover shows a flock of birds in a crystal-like formation. It means that the behaviour of a deviant who does not occupy his given place must be corrected. In nature, however, a flock of birds is usually self-organized according to the principle of swarm intelligence, i.e. by no means central or organized by a “leading bird”.
On June 3, 2015 Richard Thaler discusses his book “Misbehaving” with Hal Varian, the Google Chief Economist.
(45) 8 April 2015 ‘Defence One’ asks: “Can the military make a prediction machine?”
The article clarifies what is meant by “forward-looking governance”.
(46) On 9 May 2015, an anthology edited by Frank Schirrmacher on the subject of “technological totalitarianism” is posthumously published by Suhrkamp:
He died unexpectedly on 12 June 2014.
(47) On 14 May 2015 one wonders about the outcome of the British election: “Cameron’s success is a paradox”.
(48) On 15 July 2015 we learn how Ms Merkel helps us make the better choice.
(49) On August 18, 2015 “The search engine manipulation effect (SEME) and its possible impact on the outcome of elections” was published in the PNAS journal
With the article the possibilities of modern election manipulation becomes clear.
(50) 29 July 2015: Surprising news about CERN
It is well known that CERN and industrial partners work with company data and try to anticipate and control human behaviour.
(51) On 18 September 2015, Richard Thaler speaks to academics and prominent politicians at the University of Zurich about his book “Misbehaving”.
One gets the impression that some people are already looking forward to behaviour control, although little concrete is said about it (nudging…).
(52) September 25, 2015 is the pivotal date for further action:
The Pope demands Agenda 2030 before the UN General Assembly. There is not much to be found about it on the Internet for the time being. However, there is talk of “strong institutions”.
On the same day on which the Pope demands Agenda 2030, “The Intercept” publishes Snowden revelations on the topic of “Karma Police”, a program that essentially corresponds to the Chinese Citizen Score.
This is not about predictive policing in the sense of forward-looking defence against theft, burglary and murder, but about assessing the entire lives of all citizens through mass surveillance. Even the taste in music is evaluated. One could certainly speak of a man-made, digital “Last Judgement”.
The Snowden unveiling of the “Karma Police” programme and Kai Schlieter’s book “Die Herrschaftsformel” which will be published late on the same day, are probably the most likely to shed light on what can be expected with Agenda 2030:
In Switzerland, the Intelligence Act will be adopted on the same day, i.e. also on 25 September 2015:
Also on 25 September 2015, the Swiss Federal Commission of Experts on Data Processing and Data Security will finally begin its work:
(53) The renewed adoption of data retention in Germany, which is also scheduled for September 2015, must be postponed due to a threat of legal action by the European Commission:
However, the decision will be taken shortly afterwards in October 2015 (see above).
(54) The day before, on September 24, 2015, in probably the largest crowd disaster of all times, more than 2000 deaths occur in Mina near Mecca. A few days earlier, on 11 September 2015, the anniversary of the terrorist attack in New York, a mysterious crane accident with more than 100 fatalities occurred as a result of a very unusual storm:
(55) The book “Learning to Die in the Anthropocene” is published on 6 October 2015.
The book paints a picture of what lies ahead in view of the lack of sustainability of the global economy.
(56) On November 9, 2015, one wonders: How did Turkey’s Erdogan reverse his fortunes?
(57) On 12 November 2015, one day before the terrorist attacks in Paris during the climate negotiations there, Spektrum der Wissenschaft publishes the Digital Manifesto “Digital democracy instead of data dictatorship”.
The public is warned against “big nudging” (behavioural manipulation with personalized information) and the “Citizen Score” as it has been known since the Karma Police Program of the British intelligence service GCHQ and is currently being tested in China. The conflict with basic democratic principles becomes clear. The printed version is published in January 2016.
(58) January 1, 2016: Erdogan cites Hilter Germany as an example of presidential system
After a storm of indignation, he feels misunderstood.
(59) On December 10, 2015 ZEIT calls for a “strong state” similar to that demanded in Israel – without any special justification. The text is published simultaneously in English, even before the New Year’s Eve riots and at a time when a welcome culture towards refugees still prevails in Germany:
On 2 March 2016 one reads about the working group “Effectively govern”, that wants to give the Germans a nudge.
A photo of Horst Seehofer, Angela Merkel and Siegmar Gabriel shows: “Are they still convincing or are they already manipulating?
(60) On 24 March 2016 we learn: Twitter users taught Microsoft’s AI chatbot to be a racist asshole in less than a day
Microsoft’s experiment with an adaptive chat bot ends in disaster. People manipulate it to spread racist comments.
(61) A book published in 2018, describes the media coverage (very broad, not only social media) of US presidential politics from the start of the election cycle in april 2015 to the end januari 2018, of the first year of Trumps presidency. It shows the radicalisation of the “right-wing” ecosystem. “Network Propaganda – manipulation, disinformation, and radicalisation of American Politics” by prof Yochai Benkler, et.al. Harvard; Oxford University Press. https://theconnectivist.wordpress.com/2018/10/07/network-propaganda-empirical-study-by-prof-benkler-recent-usa-media-ecosystem/
(62) On April 2, 2016, a cyber hacker reveals how he has manipulated numerous elections in Latin America since 2012: “I worked in politics that are not seen“.
(63) On April 9, 2016, the public learns that it is possible to edit and manipulate human facial expressions in real-time videos:
Later it will turn out that the spoken word can also be changed, making it possible to produce fake videos that look deceptively real. Nowadays this is called “Deep Fake”.
(64) On 25 April 2016, the public learns that CERN’s software plays the oracle.
(65) On 27 April 2016, the European Union adopts the basic data protection regulation. It provides for certain exceptions to data protection for scientific data and archives.
(66) On 28 April 2016, the play “Terror” will be broadcast simultaneously on television in Germany, Austria and Switzerland: https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/terror-in-der-ard-im-namen-des-fernsehvolkes-a-1089541.html
A kind of plebiscitary vote “in the name of the television people” is to decide whether one is allowed to kill people in order to save others, i.e. to offset human lives against each other (which is forbidden according to the Basic Law). The play leads the audience astray. The discussion about the constitutional provisions only takes place later. A top-class representative of the Bundeswehr demands in all seriousness to change the Basic Law.
(67) On 30 April 2016 Obama speaks at the Correspondents’ Dinner about the end of the republic and warns:
“… this is also a time around the world when some of the fundamental ideals of liberal democracies are under attack, and when notions of objectivity, and of a free press, and of facts, and of evidence are trying to be undermined. Or, in some cases, ignored entirely.
And in such a climate, it’s not enough just to give people a megaphone. And that’s why your power and your responsibility to dig and to question and to counter distortions and untruths is more important than ever.”
(68) On June 1, 2016, the Gotthard Base Tunnel was inaugurated with international political celebrities. The show featured, among other themes, mass surveillance, transparency and forced conformity:
(69) The Huffington Post Blog appears on 5 June 2016 „Welcome to a fact-free world“
Around this time, reports about the “Mandela Effect”, according to which logos, texts, world maps, images and film sequences had allegedly changed and that we were part of an alternative reality, were accumulating on the Internet. This is of course scientifically untenable. De facto, however, it could be an indication of the large-scale manipulation of web content, analogous to George Orwell’s quote: “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” It is often claimed that the source of these “alternative realities” is CERN, the “world machine”.
(70) On 23 June 2016, the Brexit referendum takes a surprising turn for most – including the supporters of the Brexit -.
On the same day, one reads of Bots influencing elections:
(71) On July 4, 2016 the article “Scharmintelligenz: Eliten zerstören das Orakel der Masse” is published. (This oracle was before the democratic election, which – based on the principle of the “wisdom of the many” – the basis for the functioning of democracy.)
(72) In a blog post “Order from Chaos”, a Brookings Institute fellow blames “Digital Democracy” for the debacle:
This is contradicted by a blog post by the Huffington Post:
(73) On August 10, 2016, the macabre question is posed: “Grandma or homeless guy run over?”
A so-called “moral machine experiment” by MIT is to decide who has to die when autonomous systems such as self-propelled cars decide about life and death.
On 24 August 2016 Cass Sunstein publishes the book “The Ethics of Influence: Government in the Age of Behavioural Science”.
An article by Yuval Noah Harari “On Big Data, God and the End of Free Will” is published on August 26, 2016.
(74) On 22 September 2016, the study “The Right to Privacy in the Digital Age” confirms that human rights also apply to extraterritorial areas:
(75) On 1 October 2016, control of the ‘Internet address space’ is transferred from the USA to ICANN.
Since then, it has seemed possible to personalize Internet content, even if it has the same Web address.
(76) On 6 and 7 October 2016 we read that tech billionaires are convinced that we live in a kind of “matrix”.
The predictive policing from the “Matrix” trilogy in cinema has existed for quite some time, by the way…
(77) On 7 October 2016 Deutschlandfunk Kultur reports about the BND and the shadows of the Nazi era
(78) On 3 November 2016 we learn that with the Adobe “Project VoCo” software you can edit speech as easily as text.
Here is a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3l4XLZ59iw
(79) On November 4, 2016, Steinmeier sees a “deadly danger” for democracy in connection with an increasingly postfactual society.
(80) On 4 November 2016, Michal Kosinski speaks at ETH Zurich about the dangers of Big Data:
(81) On 9 November 2016, De Maiziere tells us to fight opinion robots :
(82) On December 3, 2016, Mikael Grogerus and Hannes Grassegger reveal the attempted election manipulation by Cambridge Analytica in their article “I have only shown that the bomb exists”:
(83) December 8, 2016, we read “Peter Thiel is trying to save the world: The apocalyptic theory behind his actions” (Thiel is connected with Palentir, which works for governments)
“We are in a deadly race between politics and technology,” Thiel wrote in a 2009 essay on Cato Unbound. “The fate of our world may depend on the effort of a single person who builds or propagates the machinery of freedom that makes the world safe for capitalism.”
(84) On 14 December 2016, Wolfgang Bosbach said that the “invasion of opinion robots” was threatening democracy:
(85) 21 January 2017 Trump visits the CIA the day after his swearing-in
(86) On 28 January 2017 the English translation of the article by Krogerus and Grassegger is published under the title “The data that turned the world upside down”
(87) On 6 February 2017, Arte TV asks: Have our elections been bought?
(88) On 16 February 2017 one learns about “writing bots and the future of journalism”
(89) On February 25, 2017 “Will Democracy Survive Big Data and Artificial Intelligence?” is published
The English translation of the Digital Manifesto appears over a year late after the editor-in-chief of Scientific American was replaced immediately after Trump’s election success.
(90) March 1, 2017, Meet the weaponized propaganda AI that knows you better than you know yourself
(91) On 7 March 2017, Wikileaks launches a series of revelations about illegal CIA surveillance programs under the name “Vault 7”
It appears that the CIA hacks virtually all digital devices, including computers, cell phones, smart TVs and modern cars.
(92) In March 2017, Christopher Wylie, the Cambridge Analytica whistle-blower, appears.
(93) On May 14, 2017, Steve Pieczenik calls for a global cybersecurity centre in his Opus 5 in response to the “WannaCry” cyberattack. The centre will be announced a few months later during the WEF in January 2018. On August 4, 2017, one learns interestingly that the expert who stopped the spread of the malware “WannaCry” was himself arrested as a suspect:
(94) On May 15, 2017 Miriam Meckel warns against brain hacking and that our head in neurocapitalism no longer belongs to us:
(95) From 24 to 28 May 2017, the Kirchentag in Berlin will be guarded by heavily armed police officers. The “strong state” shows presence.
(96) On 7 June 2017 Theresa May announces during her election campaign “Human rights laws could change for terror fight”:
(97) The analysis “Brexit bots and the UK election” will be published on 8 June 2017:
While the German public is distracted by the discussion about “homosexual marriage”,
(98) On 22 June 2017, the Bundestag passes a new law on the online monitoring of its citizens:
(99) On 6 July 2017 “Algorithm Watch” asks for data donations in order to identify possible election manipulations via the Internet.
(100) On July 12, 2017, the article “Digitalization 2.0” is published, which proposes a different kind of digitization that focuses on digital democracy, digital enlightenment and digital empowerment:
(101) On 19 June 2017, an article was published stating that CERN was now using Artificial Intelligence to look into the cyber security of the Internet:
(102) On 20 July 2017, a constitutional amendment is made to article 91c of the basic law for the federal republic of Germany:
“(5) The overall IT access to the administrative services of the Federation and the Länder is regulated by federal law with the consent of the Bundesrat.”
It’s hard to guess what it legitimizes. The public is practically unaware of the constitutional amendment. Presumably, however, the clause is intended to replace data retention, which again proved to be unconstitutional. Later, Horst Seehofer will be heard to say that laws must be made complicated and inscrutable so that they can be accepted by the public, leading to public outrage…:
(103) On July 28, 2017, Tristan Harris, who previously worked in a “Google Control Room”, explains, How a handful of tech companies control billions of minds every day“:
(104) On August 28, 2017, one reads that the German data platform Verimi wants to challenge Google & Co. Unnoticed by the German public, a European data cartel is formed in which numerous companies are involved that developed 80 years ago:
(105) On August 30, 2017, Japan’s vice-premier calls Hitler’s intentions “right.”
(106) On September 14, 2017, the public learns that China collects more than 2000 terabytes of data about its citizens every day – several megabytes per person per day:
(107) On 23-24 September 2017, the print edition of the Süddeutsche Zeitung entitled “Spionage 2.0” reported that the Anglo-Saxons had found a way to control human history. Various American IT companies are accused of intellectual manipulation:
(108) On September 24, 2017, the CDU/CSU loses 8.6 percent of the votes in the federal elections and the SPD 5.2 percent.
(109) On 28 September 2017, the Guardian newspaper writes that a former Google engineer had registered artificial intelligence as a religion:
On October 2, 2017, the emergence of a super intelligent AI of God is predicted. The question is, will we submit to him?
On 24 October 2017, Elon Musk spoke out against the creation of an AI God:
He already warned on 24 November 2014: With Artificial Intelligence “we are summoning the demon”:
Meanwhile AI-Pope Jürgen Schmidhuber has the appropriate apocalyptic telephone number:
On October 28, 2017, the Spiegel adds more with the title: “God doesn’t need teachers.”
The article refers to the Google AI “Alphazero”, which teaches itself to win the strategy game “Go”.
(110) In 2017 Richard Thaler wins the Nobel Prize in Economics. His colleague Cass Sunstein, who wrote the book “The Ethics of Influence”, was left empty-handed despite a comparable achievement.
(111) On 9 October 2017, public criticism of the strategy paper “The AfD as an opportunity for the Union” is voiced. The matter only emerges after the election:
(112) On 11 November 2017, Prof. Hans Ulrich Gumbrecht will give a memorable speech to the “Verein Zivilgesellschhaft” (“Association of Civil Society”) on the birth of a digital god and the settlement of original sin. The following article from 25 November 2017 reports:
(113) On December 13, 2016, the IEEE, the largest engineering association in the world, publishes the first version of its AI standards for “Ethically Aligned Design: A Vision for Prioritizing Human Well-Being”:
In the meantime version 2 exists:
On December 20, 2017, the article “When Software Decides Life and Death” appears.
(114) On January 24, 2018, it is decided to open a global cybersecurity centre in Geneva.
(115) The new BND building opens on 8 February 2019.
Seen from above, a hidden swastika can be seen in the strange architecture.
(116) On February 15, 2019, one reads “This AI is so good that its developers consider it dangerous:
(117) On 22 February 2018 one learns “Twitter is finally cracking down on bots”
(118) On March 3, 2018, we learn “You don’t need to be rich … to subvert … democracy”
(119) On 11 March 2018 the article “US meddling in foreign elections: A CIA tradition since 1948” is published.
(120) On March 17, 2018, it is reported that the U.S. Attorney’s Office is investigating the use of sensitive Facebook data by Cambridge Analytica
(121) On 17 March 2018 Edward Snowden reports: “Facebook is a surveillance company rebranded as ‘social media’”
(122) On March 18, 2018, Christopher Wylie states: “I made Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool”
(123) On 23 March 2018 revealed: Shadowy figures tied to Queen Elizabeth are rigging elections
(124) The Strategic Communications Laboratories Group (SCL) is called Cambridge Analytica’s (military) parent company.
(125) On March 25, 2018, the article “Data collection frenzy endangers democracy” is published.
(126) On 26 March 2018 we learn “How the military industrial complex controls America”
(127) On 28 March 2018 one reads “Cambridge Analytica is what happens when you privatise military propaganda”
(128) On March 30, 2018, the question will be asked, “Cambridge Analytica, Facebook and Chatbots – Sign of an End or a Start?”
(129) On April 4, 2018, Microsoft reported a breakthrough in social chatbots:
(130) On April 9, 2018, the following is asserted: Bots dominate twitter conversation
(131) April 15 2018 one learns “Facebook says its ‘voter button’ is good for turnout”
(132) The article “Social bots – the technology behind fake news” is published on 25 April 2018.
(133) On 2 May 2018 it is reported that Cambridge Analytica must close
(134) One question remains: Is Cambridge Analytica just a “pawn sacrifice”?
(135) On 6 May 2018, Cambridge Analytica reports how it turned Internet clicks into votes:
(136) A website from 11 May 2018 describes “How to run chatbots and social bots with IBM Watson”.
(137) May 15, 2018: Facebook deletes 1.3 billion fake accounts in 6 months.
(138) On 13 September 2018, the European Court of Justice sentences Great Britain for violating human rights through the mass surveillance by the British secret service GCHQ:
(139) On 26 October 2018 the following was published „How to spot a twitter bot“
(140) On December 23, 2018 the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung mentions secret projects of the US Internet giants in a cartoon in Berlin. In fact, Google and Facebook, for example, operate secret laboratories. There are no company names or logos to be seen on the outside of these buildings.
(141) On January 31, 2019, it is revealed that automated and personalized journalism is spreading thanks to AI:
(142) The rise of the robot reporter is reported on February 5, 2019.
(143) On 20 February 2019, Basel is one of the first cities to declare a climate emergency:
Numerous other cities follow this example, although (initially?) no emergency laws are supposed to come into force.
(144) On 1 April 2019, the central register of public transport fare evaders in Switzerland officially commences operations:
Combined with the Intelligence Act, it could probably enable almost comprehensive mass surveillance.
(145) On 11 April 2019, WBGU identifies digitisation as a fire accelerator for resource depletion and inequality.
(146) On 23 April 2019, the EU demands “Google, Facebook and Twitter must do more to fight bots and fake accounts”
(147) On April 25, 2019, Facebook is reported to have set aside approximately $5 billion for lawsuits related to Cambridge Analytica and other privacy violations:
(148) On 3 May 2019 the topping-out ceremony for the Pergamon Museum takes place.
(149) May 5 2019 it is decided that the Zeppelin grandstand in Nuremberg, the former marching-up stadium of the Nazis, is to be redeveloped for 85 million euros:
The Zeppelin grandstand is considered to have been inspired by the Pergamon altar.
The James Simon Gallery was scheduled to open in 2019 right next to the Pergamon Museum. Instead of the 46 columns in the publicly distributed architectural design, the front will receive 70 columns during the construction phase, which will change the proportions. The architecture is thus astonishingly reminiscent of the Zeppelin grandstand built by the Nazis. All this takes place in front of the eyes of the Chancellor, who lives directly opposite the Pergamon Museum and apparently didn’t notice anything or at least didn’t say anything.
Architect of the new gallery building, David Chipperfield, is also involved in the conversion of the new, more or less secret Google Headquarters, which is located directly next to the Museum Island, with a direct view of the Pergamon Museum.
(150) On May 14, 2019, there was a ruling for social bots: What cannot be recognized can not be regulated
(151) On 17 May 2019 one learns “Robots are writing really good headlines now”
(152) On May 24, 2019, Facebook is reported to have deleted over 3 billion accounts in half a year
(153) On 27 May 2019 we learn that social bots on Twitter are no longer distinguishable from real users.
(154) On June 7, 2019, the Berlin architectural dispute broke out over the question of whether architects have ensured that a fascist spirit has returned to the capital.
(155) On 8 June 2019, numerous attempts at manipulation in the European elections were reported:
There is an increasing tendency to use “more subtle, tailor-made and targeted methods of disinformation”.
(156) On the same day it is reported that the EU is targeting fake profiles and bots.
(157) On June 12, 2019, artists will broadcast a deceptively genuine deep fake video, apparently by Mark Zuckerberg, to educate the world about today’s possibilities of digital propaganda:
(158) On June 22, 2019, we learn that Artificial Intelligence learns to read the brain, and that our thoughts may not be free much longer:
(159) On June 24, 2019 it is reported Israel’s secret service Mossad relies on digital agents
(160) On June 25, 2019, fraudulent misuse of voting profiles is reported:
A one-minute audio snippet is enough to create a voice that makes any text sound deceptively similar, so even your own staff won’t notice the deep fake. By the way, some telephone hotlines create voice profiles of you.
The possibilities of digital surveillance, propaganda, censorship, manipulation, and behavioral control are enormous today and they are used extensively. At the same time, there is a worldwide weakening of democracies.
While many states have neglected the issues of digitization, sustainability and climate protection for more than 10 years, numerous surveillance laws have been passed behind the back of the public, and secret services- and police capabilities have been massively upgraded. Although they were repeatedly turned down by the courts, new surveillance laws were enacted again and again. Governments have thus repeatedly ignored both the will of the people and the will of the courts.
The result is the image of a creeping digital seizure of power – an emerging “technological totalitarianism”, for which Martin Schulz, Frank Schirrmacher, Shoshana Zuboff and many others, as well as the Digital Manifesto, have warned us. The discussion about censorship and upload filters on the one hand and an expansion of face recognition as well as new surveillance measures for email programs, messenger services and journalists on the other hand will not cease. The data hunger of the secret services and today’s governments obviously cannot be satisfied.
In addition, the latest declarations of the “climate emergency” are questionable in view of existing emergency laws: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Notstandsgesetze
Either the term “climate emergency” has been chosen in an extremely unfortunate way, or the “revolution from above” demanded by the Club of Rome, a coup in the direction of “eco-dictatorship”, threatens. Then human rights would once again come under siege, although politics is primarily responsible for one thing, namely to protect human dignity. According to Article 1 GG (one of only two Basic Law articles with eternity guarantee) human dignity is the legitimation basis of all politics. The interests of companies and secret services, on the other hand, must be put in their place – worldwide.
The impression remains that the Federal Government is gradually driving Germany into a climate crisis through digital and ecological inactivity, while the secret services stand ready to establish and run a new, “strong”, “digital state” as soon as democracy is overloaded by its challenges and fails. Similar developments can be observed in other democratic countries.
While the NSA analyses only 1.6% of Internet traffic, the BND is allowed to process 20%. Since most Internet traffic is caused by video, it can basically be used to analyse all the data we generate – and yet the BND violates the law:
The combination of George Orwell’s 1984 and Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World has long been technically possible. And, miraculously, the Hohenzollern Palace is already ready in new splendor, while the commissioned democratic monument in front of the building is delayed for various reasons again and again. Can the digital apocalypse still be averted?
Who are behind all this controlaholic militarismus?
From their erratic and incompetent behavior it is obvious that Trump and Boris have been put in their position by “the 1%” to distract and blame others. We are not sure that the Russian and the Chinese emperors are not also welcoming the splits (x vs y) in public opinion in many now nationalistic countries all around the world.
Fortunately more logs and analyses are surfacing recently about what the powergrabbers have been doing to attack democracies.
A. Lady Carole Cadwalladr, journalist born in Wales has researched what Cambridge Analytica did, based on Facebook’s data, in the USA presidential elections and before & during the Brexit / Remain referendum in the UK. She based her findings on the testimony of Christopher Wylie, see (122) and (135), and others. Crux is that clients of Facebook data, successful advertisers found new methods to make the individual consumer buy certain branded things, and it must have occured to them that the same methods could be applied to manipulate crowds minds before elections, which is illegal since it ruins democratic choices. And Carole published these findings in The Guardian. It was also brought to the attention of the Electoral Commitee of the UK parliament, who condemned these acts. A brief account on what Carole did and why, can be seen in her TED talk: https://theconnectivist.wordpress.com/2019/04/17/carole-cadwalla-ted-talk/
The investigation that Carole dared to start has also resulted in a Film on NETFLIX: The Great Hack: (drawing by Gianluca Costantini, on Twitter)
B. We recommend you read the essay of the P2P Foundation: https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/essay-of-the-day-the-rise-of-the-data-oligarchs/2018/08/09 Which refers to a more in-depth essay: https://neweconomics.org/uploads/files/Rise-of-the-data-oligarchs.pdf
The same conclusion is reached by https://thenextsystem.org/learn/stories/problem-isnt-robots-taking-our-jobs-its-oligarchs-taking-our-power
C. George Monbiot came to the same conclusions: It is the will of the Oligarchs to remain super rich and control their positions of wealth and income. These oligarchs and media moguls are behind the populist-nationalist-authoritarian leaders that are surfacing in a number of countries. At the expense of the people who are treated as interchangeable slaves and are kept in debt all their life. See his brilliant Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/26/trump-johnson-nationalists-billionaire-oligarchs
Some have written that Oligarchies are inevitable in the last stages of #NeoLiberal capitalism. This may be true but that would apply to Stage II in the rollout curve based on ICT as described by prof. Carlota Perez, London School of Economics. See: https://theconnectivist.wordpress.com/2016/11/15/must-see-lecture-of-carlota-perez-about-the-cause-for-anger-of-voters/ Stage II ended in the crash of 2008. And we see the first signs of Stage III arriving with a huge transition. Oligarchs will not be able to prevent or stop those transitions. They could not after the the Roaring Twenties either.
Our most frightening finding is that some of these Oligarchs and dictators do not shy away from proposing to let hundreds of millions of people die, since that might solve food and water shortages and simplify their control states for their well protected elite.
We hope that that worldwide Fourth Reich fascist idea, which is false, and its frightening apocalyptic implementation, starting witha mass random shooting, can be averted.
PS. In our observation it is very shocking that in this very moment, when it is becoming clear that it is no longer necessary to have a huge and obedient hierarchy & central control to manage, coordinate and control an operation or organization, the central controllers reach back to old methods of suppression and extraction by military/police force. See for instance the Chinese government doing large scale military exercises, to be able to suppress demonstrations? Napoleon invented and improved the military hierarchy, which was very successful in the situation that bi-directional and peer-to-peer connectivity and communication was not available or too slow. But the complexity handling capacity of central control is limited. And the central management data Model is limited by Asby’s Law of requisite variety.
Now with the wide penetration of smartphones and internet access and connectivity IT IS possible to discuss issues and quickly coordinate actions of the population in a democratic way. The huge and flexible demonstrations in Hong Kong and the new ways of governing in Taiwan, involving the population, show that society can be organized in new ways. Yes, such structures require less managers and leaders.
We are confident that the transition to “Collective Intelligence with Distributed Authority” will sooner or later break through. And we will show examples in that direction in the blogs after this one.
# ((final version: August 9, 2019))